Derek advises clients on matters related to Commercial Litigation, bringing a decade of complex litigation experience. Derek has a broad range of experience, having represented clients ranging from individuals to international corporations in a wide spectrum of disputes including contract, lender liability, real estate litigation, business torts (such as fraud, conspiracy and breach of fiduciary duty), products liability, premises liability, class actions, fair credit reporting act claims, and landlord-tenant matters. Derek’s practice includes both trial and appellate litigation in state and federal court.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a national bank and its officers in a case alleging conspiracy, fraud and other wrongdoing.
- Successfully represented borrowers and personal guarantors in several lawsuits brought by national and regional lenders.
- Obtained a seven-figure judgment against borrowers and guarantors on behalf of an international bank.
- Represented owners of privately held companies in disputes with co-owners.
- Represented individuals and companies in numerous cases involving contract disputes and business torts such as conspiracy, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and other claims.
- Successfully represented tenants in a commercial lease disputes.
- Part of a trial team that obtained a complete defense verdict at trial in a products liability action involving a plaintiff diagnosed with cancer allegedly caused by our client’s product.
- Represented manufacturer client in premises liability lawsuit arising from accident occurring on its property.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit on behalf of credit reporting agency and successfully represented client through appeal in Peart v. Shippie, 345 F. App’x 384, 386 (11th Cir. 2009).
- Successfully represented credit reporting agency in lawsuits throughout the southeast.